Navigate to sights of Amari with only one click
Filter and choose all sights you are interested in
West of the village Thronos in Kefalas hill, the ancient city Syvritos was flourished in ancient times. Its privileged and fortified position of course, allowed it to control the communication between the northern and the southern part of Rethymnon. It was built on successive levels due to its sloping ground and its territory used to extend in the modern municipalities of Amari and Agios Vasilios. Its port was the ancient Soulia that was situated in the place of modern Agia Galini, on the shores of the Libyan Sea. Syvritos continued to exist even in the second Byzantine period, even up to the early years of Venetian rule. Findings of the excavations from the area are now exhibited in the Archaeological Museum of Rethymnon. Characteristic are its silver coins,that reflect its strength during the Roman period, when it had the privilege of being an independent town.
The excavations of the last years revealed a very important Minoan installation dating to the period of the first palaces (19th century BC-1600BC) , very close to the modern village Apodoulou in the southern area of Amari area. The site is located in the middle of the natural route from Phaistos to Monastiraki, thus the settlement of Apodoulou seemed to operate as a stopover between the two major palatial centres of the region. Clear traces of fire upon the ruins suggest what caused the destruction of the settlement, at exactly the same period when both its neighboring centers were destroyed. However life at Apodoulou and Phaistos continued into the New Palace period. Excavations have revealed jars in some warehouses , that are a part of a united complex, probably the house of a local lord. The settlement of the New Palace period that was discovered in the 1930s, is situated in the top of the same hill. Moreover, a lot of circular vaulted tombs of the Postpalatial period with shrines, vessels and some jewelry have been excavated in various locations close to the village.
An important settlement of the Old Minoan period has been excavated in the village Monastiraki, in the center of which there is a large two-storey building complex with palatial characteristics. It was probably built around 2000 BC and was destroyed violently, like every old palace, during 1700 BC due to earthquake and / or fire. Excavations have revealed its stores, places of worship and rooms which probably constituted the archive of the palace, as a large number of clay seals was excavated. Samples of pottery that were found in the settlement of Monastiraki, resemble those of Phaistos, suggesting that these two centers had developed economic and commercial relations.
This church has the oldest dated Byzantine murals on Crete; they were made in 1225, and the donor’s inscription of the church bears the year 1196. It is a one-aisled church with arches, made of stones and bricks, with notable murals of saints and Christological scenes.
The church is built within a rock, in the lush green of the gorge of St. Anthony. It is accessible through a well-kept path and can be reached after a brief walk. This exceptional church contains numerous portable icons and a wealth of votive offerings of various types.
St. George stands at the Mourtzes or Mourtza location, southeast of the village. It is a one-aisled, arch-roofed church, built on the ruins of an older church, and it dates from the 15th century. The murals are preserved in good condition and originated in the first half of the 15th century.
A little outside Gerakari, at ‘Photis’ location, there is a Church of St. John; it is one-aisled and tile-roofed and was built in the 12th or the13th century. A narthex with a cupola was added to the only aisle. The murals are well-preserved and they date back to the 13th century.
This is a small, one-aisled, tile-roofed church, with murals dating to 1588 and 1731, not very well preserved. It’s worth visiting the bell tower that has a representation of Mother Mary.
The Monastery of Asomaton is located in the green valley of Amari and it is dedicated to the Gathering of the Angels. It was built in the 2nd Byzantine period in the style of a fortress. At the end of the 18th century it was the seat of the Bishop of Lambi. Initially the catholicon (main church) was a one-aisled, arch-roofed church; however, in the middle of the 20th century, it was transformed into a free cruciform with a cupola. The initial building was erected on the site of an older church dating from the 14th century, which, in turn, had been built on the site of a 10th century church destroyed by the 1303 earthquake. Monastery is made of carved stones and bricks and it’s worth seeing the inside images of the Holy Trinity (1619) and Archangels , paintings by Abbot Manassis. The remaining buildings of Monastery date back to 17th century. During the Ottoman rule the monastery was destroyed several times. In the course of the 20th century it operated as a farm school that had as a result to alter the first shape of some buildings that are recently renovated.
A two-aisled church; according to its inscription, it was built in 1645 by Priest Manolis Vlastos. There are special Gothic-style doors and a domed tomb dating from 1594.
The Dormition church is a three-aisled basilica built oveer three periods. The initial construct dates to the 14th century, and the extension dates back to the 16th century. The three aisles are dedicated to St. George, St. Paul & St.Peter and Mother Mary. Besides the beautiful murals in the central and north aisle, which are influenced by Constantinople styles, another point worth noticing is the coat of arms of the Kallergis family. There is a rare portable icon of Mother Mary Hodegetria kept at the church.
A one-aisled, arch-roofed church, with a semi-cylindrical arch with its origins in the 14th century, built on the ruins of an older church; all its walls are fully covered in murals. The murals date to the 13th and 14th centuries and the most impressive one is the enthroned Mother Mary on the west side and the Assumption on the east.
This is a one-aisle, tile-roofed church of the 14th century, built on the ruins of an older Metropolitan church. The coats of arms of the Kallergis’ family are also found in this church, which means that it probably belonged to them. The murals dating from the 13th and 14th centuries include an impressive enthroned Madonna holding baby Jesus. The floor mosaics date to the 6th century and they are well preserved.
A remarkable Early Byzantine basilica of the 3rd century AD was unearthed one kilometre east of the village of Vizari, in the district of Amari, on the site where a noteworthy town flourished during the Late Roman years. It is one of the best preserved basilicas in Crete. It has three aisles and a narthex to the west, while the side aisles end in arches. The sanctuary was separated from the middle aisle by a low partition with small columns. Many of the architectural members used to be parts of a pre-Christian temple. The Basilica of Vizari was an important centre for worship during the first Christian centuries and was the Bishop’s see of Syvritos. It is believed that it was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and to the Saints Vlassios and Theodore. It was destroyed in the early 9th century by the Saracens.
Kaloeidena Monastery is now ruined and it’s located in Ano Meros, in a green landsape with plane trees and fountains, with a great view to Fourfouras. Monastery was possibly founded during 13th-14th century. During Ottoman Empire it kept on working but was destroyed after the Revolution of 1821. The restoration of the monastery took place some years ago, where there are still traces of its original iconography.
A 13th century church; According to its inscription, it was the catholicon (main church) of the monastery. It is a one-aisled basilica with numerous murals. In the north part of the church the depiction of St. George holding a sword stands out.
The church is dedicated to the Nativity of Mother Mary . Although it is in ruins, its walls are still standing. It was built in two phases. The first one dates back to the 11th or 12th century and its extensive reconstruction to the 14th century. The church has many murals dating from the 14th century, several of which have been transported to St. Katherine’s Church in Herakleion; they are painted in an interesting style echoing of the Maceonian School.
The artificial lake in the area of Vyzari village is an important ecological place to maintain and restrain the avifauna in the valley. The construction of the dam of Platis Potamos is planned in the area where the artificial lake is located today, and thus, the conditions will be created for even greater attraction and presence of avifauna in the area. The construction of the dam of Platis Potamos will enrich with its waters the Dam of Faneromeni in Messara plain, and an important ecological niche will be set up in the region.
The mount Psiloritis (southwest part) is being developed in the wider mountainous area of Municipality of Amari. Ida or Psiloritis with its highest peak on 2.456 m. (Timios Stavros), is characterised by landscape variety, high biodiversity, existence of many endemic species of fauna and flora , and by even rare and endangered species. The dominant rocks are limestone, dolomite and schist. Due to its highly karstified landscape, the relief includes gorges, ployes, a huge number of dolines and some hundreds of caves and chasms, with some of the deepest of Greece to be located in spare places of the mountain range. Cave Sfentoni in Zoniana and Ideon Andron in Nida plateau are one of the most important visited Cretan caves.
The wider area consists mainly of the mountain of Kedros (peak 1.776 m.), the wider area of Patsos, the Potamon Dam lake and also Prassiano gorge. The geological substratum of the mountainous areas of Kedros consists mainly of limenstone where as mountain’s vegetation is characterised by low, arid shrubs and phrygana, with a lack of trees. Small gorges and rocky canyons are characteristic of the landscape and create ideal conditions for the nesting of big birds of pray such as Gyps fulvus and Hieraaetus fasciatus that nest in mountain Kedros, where there are traces for the existence of the rare Gypaetus barbatus.Also, Dianthus pulviniformis and Cerastium brachypetalum ssp. Doerfleri are two rare plant species and endemic of the region.
The area of Potamon Dam lake includes the gorge of Prasses (Prassiano) and Patsos and it is surrounded by hills and low mounains. The vertical slopes of the two gorges host a large number of plants, mainly chasmophytes, such as dittany . Moreover, it is also an important location for the reproduction of birds of pray such as lammergeiers (Gyps fulvus) which maintain a small colony in the area. The gorge of Prasses and the surrounding area have been recognized as a very good biotope for the reptiles, too. The avifauna of the region is also important for many migratory species, especially to charadriiformes, herons and passerines.
The impressive, verdant gorge of Patsos is located in the northwestern part of the municipality of Amari. A small river crosses this beautiful canyon . Its length reaches the two kilometers while you will need two hours to traverse it and return. The height difference between its highest point and the entrance reaches the 240 meters. The gorge has been exploited by the forest service. In its interior you will find configured rest areas and bird observatory. Gorge’s high walls, plane trees , the lush vegetation that grows on the riverbed, and the church of St. Anthony which is built inside a cave, impress the visitors. Next to the church was the altar of the outdoor sanctuary where Kraneos Ermis, the patron saint of shepherds, forests and nature fertility used to be worshiped in ancient times. The religious worship continues nowadays in honor of Saint Anthony, thus you will see many offerings (oblations) to the Saint in this location.
Platania Gorge is located in the western foothills of Psiloritis and you can find the entrance in the homonymous village. This is a small but impressive gorge with rich vegetation with endemic and other plants, predators that find shelter here, and enormous, vertical rocks and caves. In one of these caves, in the Cave of Pan where, according to legend, was the birthplace of the ancient God, there are some inscriptions on the rock, maybe of the Minoan era. The biggest part of the gorge requires knowledge of canoeing in order to cross it, however, the first part of the route includes a smooth path that even children can walk it.
Plateau Gious Kampos is located on the northwestern edge of Mount Kentros at an altitude of 750m., in the road that connects Spili to Gerakari. Gious Kampos means “Plain of Eos”, the goddess of dawn. Although it is a small plateau it has enormous ecological importance and has even been declared as protected. Every spring the plateau is full of thousands of bright, red, endemic tulips (Tulipa doerfleri). Apart from the tulips and many rare, endemic, orchid species grow here. There are also large trees and a spring of fresh water in the location “St. John”. The beauty of the landscape, especially in late March and April is excellent.
Platys River is considered one of the most important Cretan rivers and one of the most important ecosystems of the area of the Municipality of Kourites. Platys River collects the stream water of southwest Psiloritis and after having traversing a long distance into the Amari valleys and Asomathianos Kampos, yet empties into the Libyan Sea and more specifically into Agia Galini. A lot of migratory birds such as herons are attracted to the mouth of the river. There is an intense riparian vegetatation around the river that includes growths of plane trees, willows, oleander, myrtles,reeds, and typical Mediterranean maquis, while a lot of Cretan flora’s species are observed on its bank such as the Cretan Frog, tree frog, aquatic turtle , water snake etc. Platys River was the wealth that helped the villages of the area to flourish in the past ( water flows almost the whole year). Today its water supply the artificial lake of village Vyzari that is used for the irrigation needs of the area.
After the completion of the Potamon Dam lake , the conditions for even greater attraction and presence of birds in the municipality of Amari area were created . The dam is in a great location, in a green valley and was constructed to meet the increasing water needs for irrigation of the wider area of Rethymnon .The dam was built in recent years in a position north of the village and of Patsos Gorge that had as a result the active transformation of the landscape since the small closed valley of Potamon now hosts a lake which is already working as an artificial wetland of great interest because it forms a new attraction area of recreational and tourism activities. Biologically speaking, it already seems to host a significant population of migratory birds , not to mention the important presence of endangered species such as the Ferruginous Duck. Its reservoir contains a significant amount of water.
It is one of the developing settlements of Amari, with rapid evolution in recent years. Here lies the health center of the area and several basic infrastructures (mini markets, shops, etc.).
Settlement with about 100 inhabitants in the south of the valley of Amari. You can visit in the village the Byzantine church of Panagia, dedicated to the Assumption, with well-preserved frescoes from the 16th century. Predominant occupation of the inhabitants is agriculture. Apart from olives, pomegranates, lotuses, and lavender are grown. The village has a cafe. On July 26 is the feast of Saint Paraskevi.
Nefs Amari is situated at an altitude of 460m. in a sheltered position in the foothills of the mountain Samitos. It is a traditional village with well-preserved houses. The trademark of the village is the majestic stone steeple that dominates in the highest point of the village, on the position of a Venetian tower. You can climb up to there and admire the view across the valley of Amari. To the north of Nefs Amari village, you will come across both the Byzantine Church of Agia Anna, the oldest dated church in Crete, which must have been built in 1196, according to the founding plaque and the three-aisled church of Panagia Kera. Besides olive-growing, residents are engaged in farming and viticulture in the region of Agios Titos. (The village has a folklore museum and cafe. Every year on August 25 the feast of St. Titus takes place. Moreover, a 4-day event usually takes place in the summer, between August 19-25. During the events, a Bazaar is organized by the women’s association where they sell jams and generally, traditional products ).
Ano Meros is a village, built at an altitude of 580m that played an important role in the fights for liberation of the island. The village has a small folklore museum with exhibits of everyday life of the old Cretan households. It’s worth taking the road that leads to Kaloeidaina monastery which is located in a landscape with enormous plane trees and water springs. In the village there is the Byzantine church of Faneromeni and Ag. Nikolaos. The people are dedicated to olive cultivation ( the “Throumpes” of the area are well-known), livestock and production of quality local wine. In the village there are traditional cafes and the feast of Transfiguration of the Saviour takes place every 6th of August.
Apodoulou is situated at an altitude of 450 meters and has about 230 residents. The name is archaic. Apodoulou means freedman, the slave who was released. Such freedman should be the first settler, who came to live here. The village church is St. John the Baptist, built in 1894 in the position of an older one. Agios Georgios the Xiphophoros is a Byzantine church of the 13th century with many frescoes. One of the most important Minoan establishments of Old Palace period in central Crete has been excavated close to the settlement. You can find the famous chontrolies, table olives Throumpes and stafidolies in in all the villages of Ampadia region. The village has a cafe and a tavern. In the end of the summer the cultural association organizes a wine festival.
It is located at an altitude of 500 m. The amphitheatric disposition, the traditional color and the panoramic view are some of the main features of the settlement. According to the History of Agioi Deka –Ten Saints (persecuted in 260 AD by Romans), they took refuge in the village and thus, it named after this event. In the south exit of the settlement, there is the town hall of the municipality of Amari. There are also some taverns and traditional cafes.
The picturesque little village of Elenes, surrounded by trees and lush vegetation, is located three (3) km from Meronas at an altitude of 640 meters . Close to the village, in the cave “Margele”, traces of human presence (6000 BC) have been identified. Characteristic building in the village is the old single-teacher Elementary School with its “botanical garden” . (In the village there is the legend of the buried golden pig with its golden piglets in Daskiana, next to the fountain of the village. Every year on 6th of August the feast of Transfiguration takes place.)
Fourfouras is a large, modern village where you will find several facilities, but also it maintains largely its traditional architecture. It is worth visiting Panagia Kardiotissa whose frescoes date back to the 14th and 15th century. Also the E4 trail to Psiloritis, starts from the village. After 3.5 hours of hiking you will reach the position Toumpotos Prinos where the mountain refuge of EOS Rethymnou is located and then, after climbing 3.5 hours, you ‘ll reach the Timios Stavros peak of Psiloritis mountain. The village has a guest house, a tavern and a traditional cafe. The feast of the Nativity of Virgin takes place on September 8th.
Gerakari is built at an altitude of 680 m. and it is known for its tasty cherries but also for its witness history: it is one of the villages destroyed by the Germans. The village is rich in water that comes from from springs of the mountain Kentros. Close to Gerakari, the picturesque, but almost abandoned village Gourgouthoi is located. If you come to the area, it’s worth driving to the east in order to visit the 12th-century Byzantine church of Saint John. The villagers are mainly engaged in agriculture and also Gerakari cherries from the northern slopes of Mountain Kentros are famous. (On July 20th the feast of Prophet Elias takes place and whereas important events are organized throughout the year. The village in recent years is touristically being developed with modern and traditional accommodation and dining facilities.)
Kalogerou, one of the prettiest villages of the municipality, is located on the northwestern side of the valley of Amari, at an altitude of 480 meters and opposite of the village Thronos. It is built amphitheatrically with special, impressive, traditional architecture. The Byzantine church of Agia Marina of the early 14th century is situated close to the village.
Kouroutes village is situated at the southwest foot of Psiloritis, at an altitude of 510 m. It named after the Curetes, the mythical residents of Psiloritis who protected newborn Zeus with their war dance from Saturn, who was eating his children. A little bit outside the village, in the area Amygdales, there are traces of an ancient settlement (of late-Minoan or roman period) in which however systematic excavations haven’t been organized. It is worth visiting the churches of Annunciation and St. John. (The feast of St. Titus takes place every year at the 25th of August).
It is located at an altitude of 340 meters and is one of the oldest villages in the region since the earliest reference to its name was at a contract of 1301. In the village there is the old church of the Virgin Mary, with East-influenced frescoes. The settlement was probably settled by residents of the city Lambi (another name of the later ancient Lappa – modern Argyroupoli.)
It is located at an altitude of 580m., and has about 230 people who are mainly occupied with livestock farming. The earliest evidence we have for the existence of the village is the Byzantine frescoed church of Agios Nikolaos (11th-12th century). The version that the village existed since Byzantine era, was reinforced by the place names, such as the Digenis’ Seli (saddle) that is a hill with saddle shape and there is also a rock with seat shape , that named after the fact that rumors say that Digenis sat there. Apart from Agios Nikolaos church, in the village there is also the church of Theotokos , as well as the church of St. – John the Rigologos whose Feast Day is on August 29th . The mountain road that starts from Lochia, leads to the small plateau Akolyta that is one of highest mountain plateaus of Crete.
Undoubtedly Meronas is one of the most beautiful villages of Amari and generally of Crete. It is built on a green landscape with lots of water, at an altitude of 620 m. and its privileged location offers a view until the peaks of Psiloritis. Impressive is the temple of the Virgin Mary that is located in the village center and dates back to the late 14th century. The church is frescoed and bears the coat of arms of Kallergis’ family. In Meronas, every Shrove Monday, traditional carnival customs revive and weather permitting, a big feast takes place in the village square. Also in recent years, there are some music courses in the village where traditional Cretan instruments are taught. The main occupation of the residents is mainly the agriculture (cultivation of olives, grapes, pomegranates, etc.) and less the livestock farming. (On July 27th the feast of St. Panteleimon takes place. In the village there are guest houses and taverns with traditional food. Close to the village a camp with activities functions).
Τα Μεσονήσια είναι ένας μικρός ορεινός οικισμός σε υψόμετρο 660 μ., με 100 περίπου κατοίκους. Διαθέτει εξαιρετική θέα προς τον Ψηλορείτη, το όρος Κέντρος και την κοιλάδα του Αμαρίου. Οι λιγοστοί κάτοικοι του ασχολούνται κυρίως με την κτηνοτροφία και γεωργία. Η εκκλησία του Αγ. Αντωνίου είναι του 12ου αιώνα και φαίνεται να ήταν το καθολικό παλαιού μοναστηριού. Στην κορυφή Σωρός που βρίσκεται δυτικά του χωριού βρίσκεται το μικρό εκκλησάκι της Μεταμόρφωσης του Χριστού.
Monastiraki is located 2 km from Asomatos School and dates back to the second Byzantine period. In Monastiraki you can see the Byzantine churches of Archangel Michael and of Assumption of Virgin Mary which are examples of the architecture of the Byzantine churches of the region. Moreover, you should visit the important Minoan settlement that has been excavated just outside the village. In the village square, a perennial evergreen tree is located.
It is built amphitheatrically on the southwestern slopes of Psiloritis, at an altitude of 500 meters. Nithavri is one of the most important livestock settlements of Amari and it is mentioned in the Amari province since 1577.
Η Παντάνασσα βρίσκεται στους πρόποδες του Μερωνιανού αωριού, δυτικά του Οροπεδίου Βένι σε υψόμετρο περίπου 400 μέτρων και έχει 309 κατοίκους. Πιθανόν το όνομα του χωριού να έχει σχέση με το προελληνικό ΑΝΤΑΝΑΣΣΟΣ και να άλλαξε, όταν κτίστηκε η ομώνυμη ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ Η ΠΑΝΤΑΣΑΣΣΑ τον 12ο Αιώνα μ.χ. η οποία καταστράφηκε και στη θέση της κτίστηκε ο σύγχρονος ναός του χωριού. Οι κάτοικοι του ασχολούνται με την κτηνοτροφία, την παραγωγή λαδιού και κηπευτικών. Και στην περιοχή του βρίσκεται το Φράγμα των Ποταμών. Στην βορειοανατολική πλαγιά του λόφου Βένι βρίσκεται ο Άγιος Αντώνιος, καθολικό εγκαταλελειμμένου μοναστηριού.
Patsos, one of the prettiest villages of Amari is built at an altitude of 450 meters at the foot of Soros mountain. It’s worth visiting the large derelict temple, which is dedicated to Virgin Mary and dates back to 1357 AD. According to tradition, the church had 101 doors and windows and one of them was invisible. Patsos is situated near the homonymous green gorge which ends at Potamon Dam. (The village’s feast takes place on September 8th, when the Nativity of Virgin Mary is celebrated).
Το Πετροχώρι είναι αμφιθεατρικά κτισμένο στους πρόποδες του βουνού Σάμιτος στα νότια της κοιλάδας του Αμαρίου πάνω από τον Πλατύ ποταμό, με υπέροχη θέα στο Ψηλορείτη. Βρίσκεται σε υψόμετρο 400 μέτρων και έχει περίπου 100 κατοίκους οι οποίοι ασχολούνται κυρίως με την κτηνοτροφία και την γεωργία. Χαρακτηριστικό του χωριού είναι το καμπαναριό του Αγίου Πνεύματος το οποίο δεσπόζει στον οικισμό. Ο μικρός ναός των Αγίων Αποστόλων και οι παλιές γειτονιές του χωριού, συνθέτουν ένα ιδιαίτερα γραφικό σύνολο.
Platania is built amphitheatrically at the foot of Psiloritis, at an altitude of 420 meters. In the center of Platania there is the church of the Assumption (14th century). However, its frescoes have been damaged enough. Also the church of St. Nicolas that is located just outside the village, is of the 14th century. The nature there is wonderful, and it is worth hiking the gorge that almost starts from the village and ends up higher on the mountain. In the location Pana there is a cave where, according to the legend, god Pan was born and there are still ancient rock paintings. Platania is the hometown of Kallirroi Siganou-Parren, who was an important Greek feminist who founded the Lyceum of Greek Women. (The village’s feast takes place on August 15th, when the Assumption is celebrated).
It is located at an altitude of 580 meters and it is one of the largest villages of the municipality. It is built amphitheatrically on the south side of Psiloritis, and the main occupations of the residents are agriculture and livestock farming. It is mentioned to Amari province since 1577. (The village celebrates the festival of Prophet Elias on July 20th).
Small rural settlement at an altitude of 370 meters with about 100 hospitable and hardworking people. There the church of the Tesseris martyres (Four Martyrs) is located. Village’s feast takes place on August 29th, when it is the Feast Day of Saint John.
The village Thronos is built under the Kefalas hill which was the residential center of ancient Syvritos and used to be the chair of the bishop of Syvritos during the First Byzantine period. The village offers amazing view of the green valley of Amari. In the center of the village you can see the Byzantine church of Panagia that is built on the site of an older church and parts of its mosaic floor are still preserved.
Vistagi is one of the farming villages of the area, it is located on the western side of Psiloritis and dominates in the valley of Amari. A forest road leads us to the wonderful location “Tsikalas – pente pigadia (five wells)” and then leads us with branches to the south sides of Psiloritis . A trail that starts from the village also reaches the same location.
Vizari is one of the oldest villages of Amari region as it is mentioned in some documents from 1577. Two kilometers west of the village, at the location Ellinika , a great basilica which used to be the cathedral of the Diocese Syvritos has been exacavated. You can visit in the vilage the Byzantine church of St. Nicholas, and of course the remains of palazzo dei Saonazzi. It is a Venetian villa where a sundial partly survives! Also a little bit out of Vizari you can see the old mill for the milling of cereals).In the village there is a workshop with traditional wooden objects from olive trees.
The green village Voleones is located at the root of the green hill “Veni” with the historical Monastery of St. Anthony at an altitude of 340 meters. The old country road unites the village to the Potamon Dam, where there is a beautiful peripheral route.
Vrises is built at an altitude of 600 meters. They named after the running water that comes from the Kentros’ springs. Emmanuel Vivilakis, scholar with a significant effect on the Greek Revolution, hails from this village. You can visit from Vrises the abandoned settlement Smiles that is situated in the middle of the plain. (On August 15 the feast of the Assumption takes place.)