Asomaton (Gathering of the Angels) Monastery
The Monastery of Asomaton is located in the green valley of Amari and it is dedicated to the Gathering of the Angels. It was built in the 2nd Byzantine period in the style of a fortress. At the end of the 18th century it was the seat of the Bishop of Lambi. Initially the catholicon (main church) was a one-aisled, arch-roofed church; however, in the middle of the 20th century, it was transformed into a free cruciform with a cupola. The initial building was erected on the site of an older church dating from the 14th century, which, in turn, had been built on the site of a 10th century church destroyed by the 1303 earthquake. Monastery is made of carved stones and bricks and it’s worth seeing the inside images of the Holy Trinity (1619) and Archangels , paintings by Abbot Manassis. The remaining buildings of Monastery date back to 17th century. During the Ottoman rule the monastery was destroyed several times. In the course of the 20th century it operated as a farm school that had as a result to alter the first shape of some buildings that are recently renovated.